Thursday, 16 October 2014

Oh DEAR

Drop Everything And Read, or DEAR, is a national national month-long celebration of reading designed to remind folks of all ages to make reading a priority activity in their lives. It's basically where, for a set amount of time during each day of the month, you drop everything you are doing and just read. It normally takes place during the month of April, but there is nothing to say it can't be celebrated at any other time of the year!

Autumn is a time when, during my free time, I would love nothing more than to curl up in a warm sweater and read a book with a cup of tea or hot chocolate nearby. Unfortunately, I don't have the chance to let this happen very often as I, like so many other people, am busy and don't actually get very much free time during the week. As a student, I spend so much time reading textbooks and notes for my classes and when I do get a spare hour or whatever, sometimes the idea of reading even more is a bit exhausting for the old brain and it's easier to sit down and watch a movie or a TV programme.

However, I have decided that I am going to try to change my ways. I have a list of three books that I am going to aim to get read by the end of November, which is, in the UK, the official end of autumn. At the end of November I will write reviews on the books, telling you what I think of them and so on. The books I am going to be reading are:

  • 'The Maze Runner' by James Dashner
  • 'The Glance' by Claire Merle
  • 'Eleanor and Park' by Rainbow Rowell
  • 'How To Love' by Katie Contugno

I urge any of you reading this who maybe don't read as much as you would like to join me and pick a few books to read, and aim to have them read by the end of November. If you want to do this and are stuck on what to read I have decided to write a little bit on 3 of my favourite books.

~


'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone' by J.K. Rowling

"Harry Potter thinks he is an ordinary boy - until he is rescued by a beetle-eyed giant of a man, enrols at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, learns to play Quidditch and does battle in a deadly duel. The Reason: HARRY POTTER IS A WIZARD!"

I don't think much of an explanation is required for this book - is there anyone on this earth who doesn't know what the Harry Potter books are about?! (Apart from newborn babies and young children maybe...)
The Harry Potter books and films are basically my childhood but in no way are they childish! If you haven't read the books but have watched the movies, I would still advise you to read them. The way in which they're written is just so amazing and when you've finished the series you'll feel like you've been to Hogwarts for 7 years and you've actually been through everything that Harry, Ron and Hermione have been through.

~


'Heidi' by Johanna Spyri

"Five year-old Heidi goes to live with her grandfather in his lonely hut high in the Alps. She quickly learns to love her new life with him. But her strict aunt decides that Heidi must be sent away again, to live in town. Heidi cannot bear being away from the mountains and is determined to return to the happiness of life with her grandfather."

A Puffin Classic, 'Heidi' is one of the best-selling books ever written and I completely understand why. I think the main thing I love about this book, is the way in which the characters are presented. For example, at the beginning of the book, Heidi's grandfather is presented as a cold-hearted, bitter old man, but as we learn more about him and as he gets more comfortable with Heidi, we begin to love him the way she does.
I think that the blurb of this book doesn't do it enough justice: along with the main plot, which is Heidi being taken away from her grandfather, there is also a subplot involving Peter, a goatherd on the mountain, and his mother and blind grandmother.
It's a heart-warming story and is hard to put down.

~


'Here Lies Bridget' by Paige Harbison

"They say that before you die your life flashes before your eyes. You think it's going to be the good stuff - every kiss, every party. 
Don't count on it.
I was Bridget Duke - the uncontested ruler of the school. If keeping the wannabes in their places meant being a mean girl, then so be it! I never thought there'd be a price to pay.
Until the accident.
Now, trapped between life and death, I'm seeing my world in a new light: through the eyes of five people whose existence I've made hell. And I've got one chance to make things right. If I don't, I may never wake up again..."

If you're looking for a light, girly read then 'Here Lies Bridget' is the perfect book for you! It's a funny, interesting book showing the importance of friendships and being careful about how you treat others - everything you say and do can have an impact on other people and that impact be either positive or negative. Almost everything Bridget did had a negative impact and those around her, making her a selfish and despicable character. If you are looking for a book where you properly connect and empathise with the main characters, then this book mightn't be the one for you. There were parts in the book I wanted to reach through the pages of book and slap Bridget silly! 
I do love this book, though, due to the message that everything you love can be gone in the blink of an eye and that you should treasure those you love and treat everyone you meet with respect.

~  

Have you read any of the books I've mentioned in this post? If so, what did you think of them?

- Velvet Lilies x

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I absolutely love reading too :) I love harry potter and Eleanor & park, such amazing books! Anyway I also really love your blog, genuinely, and enjoy all your posts and so I've nominated you for the ONE LOVELY BLOG AWARD!! To see what the rules are just click on this link: http://www.littlelo16.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/the-one-lovely-blog-award.html :)

    From Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read Eleanor and Park and I just LOVE the Harry Potter books! :)
      Thank you so so much, Lauren! It was so lovely of you to nominate me! You have no idea how happy this has made me! :')
      I love your blog so much and take so much inspiration from it :)
      Thanks again! <3 x

      Delete
  2. I SEE WONDERSTRUCK IN THE BACKGROUND *suppresses desire to scream about taylor swift*

    Eleanor & Park is a GREAT book. It's so, so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wonderstruck - it's definitely my favourite perfume! Pfft, who needs Chanel no. 5?! :P

      I've been meaning to read Eleanor and Park for ages and I can't wait to finally sit down and read it :) x

      Delete
  3. I am a massive Harry Potter geek so am so happy you've got that it there! :)

    I also nominated you for a Liebster Award :)

    Have fun filling it in!

    http://thebettystamp.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-liebster-award.html#more

    Betty x

    thebettystamp.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Harry Potter! :)

      Aw thank you so much for the nomination! That's just made my day :) I can't wait to fill it in! x

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik