Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Top 5 Tunesday #3



1. All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor

I know this song has received a lot of criticism from people saying Meghan is "skinny shaming," but I don't think these people have listened to the lyrics properly. Although she does refer to "skinny bitches," the following lines are "No I'm just playing. I know you think you're fat / But I'm here to tell ya / Every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top." She is saying that 'skinny' girls have insecurities too, but everyone is beautiful, regardless of they look.
I love not only the inspirational message being conveyed but the catchy tune of the song and quirky music video, which is why it has been my most played song of September.



2. Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart) - The Vamps featuring Shawn Mendes

The Vamps have taken the chorus of a well-known Simon and Garfunkel song, rewritten the verses and turned it into a catchy modern masterpiece. It appeals to The Vamps' fanbase of teenagers and young adults but also the older generation who remember the original Simon and Garfunkel version. I always catch my mum and dad singing along to the chorus when they hear this song!
I also love Shawn Mendes' vocals on the track. He brings something different to it as his voice has a totally different tone to Brad's (the lead singer of The Vamps).
Be aware if you haven't heard this song before and are about to click play below, you will struggle to get it out of your head! There was rarely a time this month that I didn't have it stuck in my head!



3. Superheroes - The Script

In my opinion, The Script are one of the most underrated bands out there at the minute. They write all of their songs from personal experience and you can hear it from the depth and passion of their lyrics.
This song focuses on the pain life puts you through and tells us that heroes don't glide to victory easily. True heroes are those who know what pain really feels like.
This song is so motivational to anyone going through a hard time. It reminds us that if you are going through a tough time, don't give up - that pain can be turned into something good in the end.



4. Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood

Although this song was out in March of last year, I've been listening to it a lot throughout September. I think it's because it makes me want to go and throw on a cosy sweater!
I love the rock feel but hip-hop beat to this love song. The lyrics are quite poetic and I especially love the second verse when they start to get a bit faster.



5. Happy Little Pill - Troye Sivan

Troye is one of my favourite youtubers and I'm so glad to see him taking the music scene by storm. This song, his first official single, was released on the 25th of July of this year and since gone gold in Australia, where he is from, which is amazing!
He wrote this song about "a friend who was going through a tough time," and you can hear this from the deep, melancholy lyrics. The slow, electronic beat goes along well with Troye's voice. I really like this song, along with the whole Trxye EP and can't wait for the full album to come out.



To buy 'All About That Bass' on iTunes click here
To buy 'Oh Cecilia (Breaking My Heart)' by The Vamps and Shawn Mendes, click here
To buy 'Superheroes' by The Script, click here
To buy 'Sweater Weather' by The Neighbourhood, click here
To buy 'Happy Little Pill' by Troye Sivan, click here

To see last month's top 5, click here

- Velvet Lilies x


PS. I just want to say I know in my first 'Top 5 Tunesday' post, I said I'd be writing these every Tuesday. Unfortunately, however, this is unrealistically impossible. I am still in sixth form so I have a lot of school work to do. This blog isn't my job, it's just something I really love to do. Because I'm still in school and so busy with my studies, I normally only get to post once a week during the school term. I wish I could post more but I just don't have the time: A Levels are awfully hard work! I took the decision to only post Top 5 Tunesday posts on the first Tuesday of every month, I hope you guys understand. It's annoying for me only getting to write these posts once a month because I really enjoy writing them!



4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post...I like your blog.^^
    Maybe follow each other on bloglovin?
    Let me know follow you then back.
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! I've just checked out your blog and I love it! :) I've followed you on bloglovin - can't wait to read more on your blog! :) x

      Delete
  2. 3 of you top 5 I'm slightly hooked on at the mo! All About That Bass is crazy addictive and even tho im terrible at dancing it gets me dancing!

    I really hope you don't mind me nominating you for the liebster award
    http://bethlett.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/the-liebster-award.html

    btw I love your blog name :)

    Much love
    Beth xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All About That Bass is possibly the catchiest song I've ever heard! I'm exactly the same as you - I normally end up just waving my arms around in the air a bit haha!

      Aw thank you so much! Everything about this comment has totally made my day! :) x

      Delete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik