Saturday, 20 December 2014

Life Is A Rollercoaster

Life has its ups and its downs. Its highs and its lows. Its good parts and its bad parts.

Everyone experiences this and I want to say that no matter how hard a particular period of your life seems - whether it's a few days, a few weeks, a few months or even a few years - it will pass. The bad will give way to the good. At the time it may not seem like that and it may seem easier to just ignore that fact and stay wrapped up in your sorrows. But it will pass. 

As hard as it may seem, you have to try and look at the little things that make you happy everyday. Try to take time out of your day to reflect and focus solely on the things that made you happy that day. It may be something as big as seeing a friend that you haven't seen in a while or as small as getting a nice cup of tea when you get home. If you do this everyday, before you know it, your whole way of thinking will change, allowing you to become more positive without having to try very hard.

If you find yourself going through a bit of a rough patch in your life, for example, you've had an argument with your friend or you're just feeling a bit down about things, there are things you can do to take your mind off it:

1. Take a bath

Whenever I take a bath is when I'm most relaxed. It's when I feel I can take time out of my day to think about my situation and if there is anything I can do to solve it.

(This is what my bath looked like after using Lush's 'Think Pink' bath bomb. It smells so good and made my skin feel amazing!)

2. Go for a walk

Whenever I'm out for a walk I feel like I have a clear mind. It's when I'm able to make rational decisions, whilst getting close to nature at the same time.



3. Read a book

With all that thinking done in the bath or out for a walk, picking up a book may be the last thing you want to do. However, fiction books involve mostly made-up storylines, fully allowing you to take your mind off your own life and instead think about someone else's.


4. Listen to music

Songs and music hold so many messages - sometimes hidden and sometimes clear. I always like to find songs related to my problems. For example, if I had had a bad breakup I would listen to songs like Taylor Swift's songs about breakups. Listening to songs relating to my problems gives me peace of mind knowing that I'm not the only person who has gone through what I am going through.



5. Talk to a friend or family member - someone you trust

I know I said this would be a list of things to take your mind off your problems and talking about them doesn't exactly do that, but talking to someone allows you to get a second opinion. Thus, possibly making the situation clearer for you, allowing you to think about the sole problem rather than worrying about other things relating to the problem that may not be important.

It also means that you know you are not alone and that someone is there for you, looking out for you.



A way not to help yourself when you are going through a low period in your life is to take on more than you normally would, whether it be work, social outings or whatever. This can result in you becoming more stressed and feeling even worse. However, don't abandon the things you would normally do because normality is probably one of the best remedies if you are feeling down.

What do you do to take your mind off things when you are feeling down?

- Caoimhe x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik