Friday, 27 February 2015

Vanilla Cupcakes with Pastel Icing | Recipe

On Saturday I had the sudden desire to bake and, as someone with limited baking skills and limited access to ingredients, I had to keep it simple. I ended up making these vanilla cupcakes with pastel green icing, and they were so good if I say so myself!



Ingredients

To make 12 cupcakes you will need:
  • 110g of butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
  • 110g of caster sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • 110g of self-raising flour
  • 1-2 tablespoons of milk
For the buttercream icing you will need:
  • 140g of butter softened
  • 280g of icing sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoons of milk
  • a few drops of food colouring
Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180⁰C (350⁰F) and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper bun cases.


2. Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
(I used a mixer for this because I find it easier that way. You can also do it by hand though.)


3. Add in the beaten eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.


4. Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon, adding the milk until the mixture has a dropping consistency. It's important that you fold in the flour instead of just stirring it in, as this is what will give the cupcakes a light and fluffy texture (meaning any lazy people like me who are using a mixer sadly have to put it aside). I actually didn't know how to fold in flour before making these cupcakes so I used this youtube video to guide me and I found it really useful.


5. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are about halfway full and bake them in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until they are golden-brown. Set aside to cool, remove them from the tin and set them on a wire rack.


6. For the buttercream icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Then add half the icing sugar and beat until smooth.


7. Add the remaining icing sugar and the milk, adding more milk if necessary, until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Then add the food colouring and mix well until combined.
(For anyone wondering, I used one drop of blue food colouring to get the pastel green colour)


8. Spoon the icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe the icing using a spiralling motion onto the cup cakes in a large swirl. This is definitely easier said than done! This was my first time using a piping bag and it requires a lot more strength and practice than I'd anticipated! It didn't start off very well...


but I think I got better as time went on! :)


I wish I could have given you all a cupcake through the screen! 
So here's an invisible cupcake for you... :D

- Caoimhe x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik