Monday, 1 June 2015

May Round-Up

May started off well in that it started off with a bank holiday weekend. I went up to my holiday house for the 3 days I had off. Like I said my March Round-Up, my holiday house is one place where I can totally relax. I just love it up there.



The following weekend, the 9th, was my orchestra concert. My friend, Hannah, and I started orchestra together when we were 10 and moved up to the senior version when we were 14. We've performed in 2 concerts a year since we were 10, so this concert was our 14th. We both felt so proud and amazed, quite frankly, when we counted it up!

The concert itself was great! I always love our conductor's choice of pieces because she always picks a good variety. In this concert we played one movement from Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, Ashokan Farewell (which is such a beautiful piece), the theme tune from E.T. and YMCA. It was so funny to see the audience doing all the actions to YMCA after a bit of encouragement from our conductor!



The following day, my family went out for dinner to celebrate my auntie's 61st birthday and my grandparents' 62nd wedding anniversary. (Imagine being married for 62 years - what an incredible thing!) It was such a pleasant afternoon and the food was delicious! Just look at the chocolate fudge cake I had!!!


The Sunday after that, the 17th, was my friend's 17th birthday but we celebrated on the Saturday instead. Seven of us went out for dinner to a really nice all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet and then went back to my other friend's house. We had our own mini disco and ate lots of sweets!


That following Monday I had my first A-Level exam. It was my AS Spanish Oral which I had been so nervous for. But the examiner was lovely and put us right at ease! I think it went okay so fingers crossed!

The following Tuesday I had my French oral. I had prepared for it the exact same way I had prepared for Spanish but unfortunately it didn't go as well as Spanish had. I don't know if it was my nerves or what, but my grammar was all over the place and I made some really stupid mistakes. The examiner asked my about my family and I meant to say "Je m'entends bien avec mes sœurs et mon frère" as in "I get on well with my sisters and brother" but instead I said, "Je m'entends bien avec mes sœurs et mon fils" so, yeah, I have a son who I get on well with. I came home quite upset about it but after a pretty motivational pep talk from my mum and I'm trying not to dwell too much on it. It's done and there's nothing I can do now - thinking about it will only make it worse. At least, speaking is the weakest part of my French and I still have the listening, reading and writing to do so hopefully I can pick up more marks there.


It went up from there, though. The next day was my birthday which I wrote about in my last post. Unfortunately my mum and dad had to work and my siblings were at school so I did have to study a bit but it's okay because I'm having a party after my exams. (It'll all be worth it in the end!) In the evening my mum and dad took me out for dinner to my favourite Italian restaurant and when we went home we had a little party with cake and balloons. I had such a lovely night!




On Saturday my family and I went to the Irish Open held at the Royal County Down Golf Club. One thing that a lot of people don't know about me is that I play golf, but it's sort of a family thing. My granda took it up around the time he was in university. When he got married and had children, he taught my granny, my dad and my aunties and uncles to play. My dad taught my mum, my sisters, my brother and I and my auntie and uncles who are married with children taught their children. In fact, one of my aunties actually met her husband through golf!

A lot of people have the idea that golf is boring, unfashionable and pointless. But see once you get into it, you learn that it's the complete opposite! The amount of skill and precision you need to play it well is crazy and it's so interesting both to play and to watch. Unfortunately some of my favourite golfers like Rory McIlroy and Sergio Garcia hadn't made the cut and so I didn't get to see them yesterday. But I did get to see some of my other favourites, Padraig Harrington, Graeme McDowell, Rickie Fowler. It's a really cool experience getting to see them in person after watching them so many times on TV!

I hope everyone had a good May!

- Caoimhe x

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing month:)
    xx
    Curvybird.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess apart from telling an examiner that I'm a teen mom it was a pretty good month hahaha :D x

      Delete
  2. Amazing post dear!

    https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik