Sunday, 13 September 2015

Extraordinary Means | Book Review


Extraordinary Means is a fiction book following the lives of two 17-year-olds after they have been diagnosed with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis and are sent to live at a treatment centre called Latham House. Sadie has been there about a year and a half before Lane arrives, which is when the book begins. Sadie doesn't like Lane at the beginning because of something she thought he had done to her when they were at summer camp together four years earlier. After it is cleared up, they soon become friends and develop feelings for each other and end up falling in love.

I really really enjoyed this book. The first thing that drew me to it was the fact that it deals with the topic of tuberculosis. Although nowadays there are very few cases in developed countries, TB is still unfortunately very much existent in developing countries today. I think it was a good thing for Robyn Schneider to write about it because it raises awareness for a disease which is often overlooked today. If you want to read more about TB you can click here.

Robyn Schneider's style of writing is quite similar to that of John Green and not just because the story of Extraordinary Means is slightly similar to The Fault In Our Stars. The use of dry humour and the descriptions of the relationships between Sadie, Lane, Nick, Marina and Charlie really reminded me of John Green's writing style. If you like his books then you have to read Extraordinary Means!

My favourite character in the book is Sadie. I love her sense of humour and her boldness and I just found I could relate to her a lot. The relationship between her and Lane is beautiful! What I would give to have something like that...sigh...

Extraordinary Means contains lots of messages and it gave me a lot to think about. One of the biggest things it left me thinking about was the fact that life is short. As we are living, we are dying and so we should spend more time doings things we enjoy with the people we love. Lane learns this when he arrives at Latham House. He had spent all of his time in his freshman, sophomore and junior years studying and slogging it out to get a place at Stanford. Being sent to Latham House puts his plans on hold and when he befriends Sadie he realises that life can't be all hard work and no fun. You need to spend time with friends and family and do things you enjoy.

I love everything about this book. It contains a lot of things that, for me personally, make a great book: friendship, love, humour, fun... It made me laugh and it made me cry (oh boy, did it make me cry! No spoilers though!). I would definitely recommend this book if you are into love stories and John Green-style books. I love it!

Have you read Extraordinary Means
Or do you have any book recommendations? I love finding new stuff to read! :)

- Caoimhe x

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik